Defending the Right to Offend
Many important ideas in the history of humankind have been considered offensive when they were first proposed. Indeed, the people proposing such ideas often did so knowing that they would cause offense. Here are some articles defending the right to offend as a necessary part of free speech.
- Defend the right to offend (opinion piece in Indian Express, 2009)
- Muslim artist gets death threats (news item on BBC, 2008)
- The Virtual Museum of Offensive Art (article in New Humanist, 2008)
- Blasphemy in the Christian World (book review in New Humanist, 2007)
- Why we will defend the right to offend (opinion piece in The Telegraph, 2006)
- I am here to defend the right to offend (speech by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, 2006)